View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 AM
plainpat

It really doesn't matter why goods are setting records with prices going.....always...up & up.
The bottom line for me, is how much I have to spend.I gave up on buying a lot of expensive groceries,passed on better clothes unless on deep discount.What I don't buy on sale doesn't get bought & the same now holds true for quilting,be it notions or fabric.
On line,with free shipping is what I shop for.There's no way our retirement income will ever keep in line with price increases.When my stash is used it'll be time to sell the machine. Just a fact of life.

Originally Posted by QKO
Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I understand why the price increase in fabric. Why would that change the price in notions????
Originally Posted by plainpat
Was in a LQS this wk end & noticed prices had gone up, at least twice since I was there a month ago.This is not a big shop in a tourist location,but a small place in a working class neighborhood.
Most new cottons were $12.49 yd.Quilting notions were off the chart.I was just looking & didn't need a thing.Only saw one customer making a small purchase.Not looking good for LQSs or quilters needing fabric.
A couple of reasons. Many notions, like rulers, are made from plastic, and since plastic products are made from oil, all plastic products are increasing in price. Also oil prices are affecting manufacturing costs and transportation costs on everything -- pretty much everything you use in your life uses oil to produce and transport.

Secondly, distributors, and some shop owners, are trying to average dramatic cost increases in some areas (like fabrics) across many products, so if fabric goes up by a dollar or two a yard, they may choose to spread some of that increase in the overall cost of doing business to other articles they distribute to stores, or as a store owner, retail to the public.