Thread: Critter OBW
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 AM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by chance
Love it! Question: How do you line up the pieced backing with the front so you can quilt it properly? Hope this isn't a stupid question.
Believe me, it's not a stupid question! First, I usually make the backing so it has a margin of error on the edges - wide 'borders' - I make them about 2" wider than the top, but I also start them well WITHIN the edge of the backing. Then I mark the center edges of all 4 sides of both the top & backing - in the seam line, use a permanent marker.

I use adhesive spray to put the layers together. I do this outside. DH puts a sheet of masonite or plywood on our patio table - or 2 of them on sawhorses. It depends on how big my quilt is.

Start layering with backing, right side down. I use binder's clips to hold edges taut - but not stretched too tight. Next, batting cut about 2" larger on all sides. I use spray adhesive to 'glue' the batting to the backing, starting at the center and working my way out to the edges. I spray across the center horizontally and pat it down firmly. Don't smooth it - you don't want to stretch batting.

Finally, I lay out the quilt, right side up. DH usually helps with this. We match the center marks and then look at the edges to be sure the backing is wider than the quilt evenly by a couple inches all the way around. Extra time doing this saves a lot of grief later!

Finally, I put a row of pins across the center - horizontally. Then I fold the quilt back across the pins and use the spray adhesive, one 'row' at a time, smoothing the top over the batting toward the bottom (or top) edge. DH helps me with this, too. Repeat for the other half. The adhesive is very forgiving. If you notice wrinkles or bubbles, you can lift and resmooth - even after you begin quilting.

The spray adhesive comes out when you run the quilt through a wash cycle when you're finished quilting. While you're quilting, it's almost like a stabilizer.