View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
ctack2

If you aren't happy with the points, which I think look just fine, you could try this:

Use a very light weight fabric or interfacing. Cut it out the same as the pattern piece. Sew them together, right sides together. (Do not backspace when sewing) Trim the points by cutting straight across them. Trim the seams to 1/8 - 1/4" and clip around the curves. Carefully cut a small slit in the backing fabric and turn the patch right side out through this slit. Using a chopstick or some kind of stylus, get the piece smooth around the edges and really make those points pointy. Then press and applique to your quilt.

If you don't want the extra layer of fabric, you can take the piece apart by carefully removing the seam from the edge after you turn it. The edges would already be clipped and pressed when you separated the pieces.

You could also use this process using fabric in your quilt as the backing. Instead of sewing all the way around and making a slit in the back, you can leave a small area around the edge somewhere to make turning possible. If you do it this way, you will have 2 pieces, turned and pressed for the quilt (they will be mirror images of each other though)

Well, I'm sure that all that is as clear as mud, but if you try it, you may understand what I'm trying to say.

Carol B