View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
nanabirdmo

string piecing is sort of like paper piecing but more free form. cut the muslin into the shape of the finished block or portion of the block that you want to have the "string" effect, plus seam allowances. then just sew strips, or "strings" of fabric of random widths, doesn't even have to be straight, til the base is covered. then just flip it over and trim along the edge of the base material to trim away the excess of the oversized strings.
traditionally the base could have been just some left over or ugly material, or even paper which can be torn away as in paper piecing.
because of the added weight, most of these quilts are machine quilted or tied. would be pretty hard to hand quilt i would think.
this is a great way to make a dent in that scrap pile. i try not to pay much attention to color or patterns, except not to put identical strings together.
there is a really good Rodale book, THE QUILTERS ULTIMATE VISUAL GUIDE, that explains this method. i use this book a lot for reference on almost every aspect of quilting.
sorry to go on and on, but i love quilting as an art form and i get carried away. it is so nice to have this forum. i learn new things every time i visit. you all are the best.