View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 AM
mtspools

Originally Posted by JanTx
My husband had back surgery last week and the whole time I was there - from check in, to the pre-surgery room, to the waiting room - I had a quilt top with me. It's a baseball quilt for a grandson and has about 45 baseballs on it that will rag when washed. The top is pieced and I was embroidering the stitching on each baseball. (Pics later)

Anyway - everywhere I went that quilt warmed up the room, started conversations, and brought up shares of other quilits, other quilters and other times. It was amazing how such a simple thing made a stressful place into a cozier one.

Even people who didn't really join into a conversation said "that's sure pretty" or some such thing as they walked by.

I finished piecing this top several weeks ago and had put it with a hoop and supplies in a tote and saved it for this occasion. I know I'll do the same anytime I have to be in such a place. It sure made a difference!
I did the same when DH was in hospital only I did hand embroidery blocks for A quilt. have it ready for anytime I have to set and wait.Good luck to both of you.