View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Tiffany

Over the years I've noticed you tend to get what you pay for. If someone is charging a rediculously small amount for quilting a good sized quilt, then usually the quilting is basic and there can be some question as to the quality. (I say Usually. I will admit there are the occasional gems hidden in all the dross.) People who are good at quilting, whether long-arm or machine quilting, usually charge a fair price for their work. The fancier the quilting and the more often you change thread colors, the more expensive it will be. My suggestion is to take a look at some of the work that person has done and see whether you like it or not. If you do like it, get an estimate on how much it would cost to do your quilt and see if that is something you can live with. If it is, then I'd say it is worth what you are paying for it. If it isn't, you know to look elsewhere. At least that is my philosophy. :wink:

Actually, I cringe at the prices that are charged from machine and long-arm quilting. Now don't get me wrong, I understand all the hard work that goes into it and I don't begrudge these people a fair wage. But holy smokes, sometimes the quilting costs more than the fabric, thread, and batting that goes into the quilt! :shock: I really need to improve on my machine quilting!