View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
fabric whisperer

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Yahoo ~ I got great info from 3 different members on how they wash the hankies, and this worked superbly!

Filled glass fishbowl type vase with warm water & Oxyclean (proportioned for the "soak" method on the Oxy tub)... stir oxy to dissolve... Plopped them babies in and stirred them down in with a plastic spoon that I didn't care about (I've got a few "loads" to wash) ~ I was able to fit about 9-10 easily in there...

Stir everytime I walk by or think about it, just to rejuvenate the Oxy bubbles...

After 3 hours soaking, took one out for inspection, and it was pretty and white again... gently squoze it out...

Filled dishpan with a small amount of Palmolive dish soap (Dawn messes with my eczema) ... put the hanky in for a handwash, then rinsed very thoroughly with cold water.

Put in salad spinner to spin the extra water off (putting inbetween two white towels would work, too to blot dry)...

Hang to airdry, then press

Purty!!! There are a few that I was given that had the fold marks show age yellowing... they are cleaning up beautifully!