View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 AM
quilterella

Originally Posted by cdufur
I have been looking at the beautiful colors of batiks out there, but I have never used any in a quilt. I have heard that the dye in them will "run" when you wash it. I don't want to put a lot of work into a quilt and then worry about the dye bleeding. I was thinking about using some in a baby quilt, but I know that it will be washed a lot. I am torn between using some of that gorgeous fabric or playing it safe and using my other fabric. I know that you guys are the best ones to ask this question...What are your opinions about batiks? Please let me know because I am dying to use some of them!!
I use batiks alot, both in baby quilts and adult quilts. I do not prewash, only because I'm lazy (LOL) Colour Catchers are the best invention since sliced bread. I wash the quilt after it is finished with 2 or 3 Colour Catchers (depending on the size of quilt) and I give the receiptient 2 or 3 for their first couple of washings. I have never had a problem yet, nor have I heard any complaints from the receiptients.