View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
luv2so

I lived in Smithland for 11 years and loved it. The people in Kentucky are really great to know, once THEY let you get to know them. Once you do get to know them they'll do anything they can to help you. To them you're a stranger in "their parts".
When we moved there, from the suburbs of Chicago the neighbor nextdoor told us how it would be and boy she was right!
I have the same problem with making friends here in Ga. I have custody of an 11 year old granddaughter (I'm 65) and don't have any friends to pal around with either. I think it's because the mothers of her friends are young enough to be my daughter so they don't want to be around me. The ladies my age see me with my granddaughter all the time so they don't want to be around me either. The neighbors are cordial but I never get invited to anything. They all come here for sewing or free embroidery or plants when I'm dividing, etc. but never invite me to go shopping or to any functions they have. But that's o.k. I have my family and I'm very happy to take my granddaughter with me. She loves to sew and garden. When I go to JoAnn's or Hancock's she's rummaging through all the fabric for her next project. I can't get out of Lowe's or Home Depot's garden center without spending money on flowers and seed for her.

Just be patient and give it some time, you'll find friends there and when you do you'll have a friend for life. I met one of my best friends, been friends for about 15 years now, at an embroidery class at a machine dealer when we both bought a new embroidery machine. She used to live in Kentucky too but she now lives in TN. We can't see each other but we talk everyday!