View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mimigram
This is a quilt that I am hand quilting for a friend. And you are right there are lighter fabrics on half of the log cabin squares. I just am unsure how to quilt the whole thing so that I do a good job for my friend. So far I have come up with random squares that intersect each other. Sound good?
Random intersecting squares sounds good, but have you considered how many seams you will have to cross? That is a major consideration with log cabin quilts.

If you are willing to cross that many seams, then I would suggest a circular pattern instead of a geometric; log cabin is a very geometric pattern and often benefits from the contrast of circular or flowing lines for the quilting. Many old log cabin quilts were hand quilted in the Baptist Fan pattern (concentric half-circles all over). I see a lot of log cabin quilts beautifully machine quilted with a feather pattern in the light areas (geometric or other pattern in the dark areas); however, that's probably not a good idea for hand quilting

Many hand quilters avoid the seams by quilting a line down the center of each log (or 1/4" inside each log, which is a lot more work). A variation of this which requires crossing some seams is to quilt a continuous geometric spiral starting with the center square and going out to the edge of the block.