Thread: Color?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
RST

Here's a blog with lots of great color inspirations. http://www.design-seeds.com/ Just scan through it, find some that speak to you, and create a folder (or print out) those palettes for future inspiration. From there, you can either work from your stash or buy fabrics that will go with that collection of colors.

Another way to come up with current and pleasing color selections is to use magazines or catalogs -- look for colors you like, and the combinations that are currently seen a lot in decor.

A third way -- use some of the pre-cut collections as the base colors for a quilt, pulling in the same tones from your stash until you feel more confident yourself. The jelly roll and charm sqare collections of fabrics already coordinate nicely, and most often, they are popular colors that tend to work well with home furnishings currently in stores.

Mostly, don't be afraid of color, and be willing to be wrong once in a while. In my opinion, most quilters make the mistake of playing color too safe and matchy matchy. The other common mistake, and one I often fall into myself is not having enough "white space" -- not necessarily white literally, but neutral, calm spaces that allow the design areas to shine.

RST
RST