Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
candi

Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by kathy
it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete
LOL - no, the hexes aren't sewn together - they are in halves of 3 triangles each. My brain is simply boggled is all - maybe I should lay them out so that the (proposed) seam is running the opposite way? Can't see where that would make a difference though
Suzi, let me see if I can explain this. You need to change your layout so that the first half hex in the first row is pointing the other direction than the first half hex in the second row. To get a square quilt, you end up loosing some half hexagons.
Check out my OBW here.http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111130-1.htm
I left some hexs to fall out if the border, but notice how on top I have one half hex short side to the left the one next to it and underneath it to the right and so one. Just alternate the orientation of the short side on touching half hexs. Hope I didn't confuse you.