View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Lv2sew2011

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
This is a FMQ question. I was told by a quilting teacher that I MUST have a 'stitch regulator' in order to do free motion quilting. (the teacher also owned a quilt shop that sold sewing machines). I could not afford a new machine, so I tried to FMQ on my regular machine. The stitches were extremely uneven and I lost interest in trying, believing she was right. Now I am reading posts on the quilting board about not dropping the feeddog. Was I told wrong? Is it possible to master FMQ on a regular machine without a stitch regulator. I am getting interested in trying again. Please give me your opinion.
I'm new to quilting and I'm working on My First Queen size quilt, FMQ almost got it done, all I needed was a darning foot and it works great...I find the faster I go the more even the stiches come out, and this is my first FMQ and I'm stippling! Learning one stich at a time until I conquer it!

Here's a pic, yes there is a few stiches that are messed up, but like I said I'm learning and not using a stitch regulator, I just drop the foot and use the darning foot, for FMQ...a lot a practice helps, I made a few pot holders so I wouldnt waste the material....

[IMG]http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1276.jpg[/IMG]