View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 AM
thequilteddove

I remember when I first started LA quilting... I spent a lot of time ripping quilts out due to tucks, bad tension, etc. Any time those situations occur (and they some times just happen, even to the most seasoned of LA'rs). Even now, if I get tucks on the back or the tension goes wonky, I rip & redo (thank God it's not very often any more!)

My advice: When you're ripping, don't rush it and try not to get frustrated. Rip from the back of your quilt. If you were to accidently poke or tear the fabric w/your seam ripper, it would be less heart wrenching to replace the backing fabric than to damage the quilt top. When all is said & done, you'll be pleased you took the time to fix it.

PS There are times that a customer's top has really full borders and/or fullness through out their tops that it's impossible not to get tucks/puckers. It isn't always something that is easily evident until it's loaded on to the LA table. I've spent hours on cases like this trying to minimize the fullness on quilt tops, it takes a lot of practice and patience. But, when it's really bad all I can do is the best I can do with what I had to work with. Anyone who's done an extensive amount of LA work can totally relate. (Not to say this is the case w/your quilt - it's just info on some of my experiences.)