Thread: Ouch!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Lori S

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
When our sales rep came through earlier this week, she told us that she thinks that as the price goes up, people will still quilt, just make smaller projects. She said that in Europe, where costs have been high for a while, they're more likely to make items such as wall quilts, rather than full-size bed quilts.
I can not imagine just putting aside my much loved hobby. I do think you are right in that smaller quilts will be made. I will take on projects that take longer, And we will still find a way to treat ourselves to the one ( maybe two, ,more for some) fabric we just can not walk away from.
On the up side .. the Wall Street journal reported that the amount of cotton planted in the US this year has risen almost 50 percent. It will take awhile to work through the processes before its ever seen influenced in finished goods pricing.
On the down side they are predicting that the lowest price the farmers will see is $1.00 per pound this is above the the pricing for cotton in the last five years by 15- 25% , and we do not know the effects some weather issues seen in China already this year. February US cotton price was $2.28. March average US price had not been posted as of yesterday.