Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Quiltmaniac2010

Hello everyone: I just purchased a longarm and the QuiltMotion computerized package. The retailer made lots of promises about how much support I would get from her as I have no longarm experience. I live 2 1/2 hours away from her. I picked up my 5 boxes and my husband and I assembled it. It was quite a challenge as I already had a quilting frame which needed adaptions to make everything work together. I am wondering how much teaching you got when you purchased your machines. She promised me that she would teach me how to use my machine, but neglected to tell me that I would have to pay for lessons. When I asked her about this, she said that she did show me how to thread it. That wasn't quite what I had in mind, but didn't know enough to ask prior to the purchase. I also had no idea how much of a learning curve the QuiltMotion would be. She said that you set it up and go and have coffee while it quilts your quilt for you. Anyway, I'm feeling quite discouraged and would really like to know how much teaching you got when you purchased your machine and what did you do to learn how to use your longarms. Can anyone recommend books/DVDs/whatever so I can learn to use my very expensive new "toy"? Thanks very much for listening.