Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suezquilts
I disagree with the lack of artistry of the computer assisted design. I felt that way before purchasing one myself. I envied the skill of a computer. Sue
And therein lies the root of our disagreement on it. I do not envy any design created by a machine but I do envy the symmetry of nature. But even the symmetry of fractals in nature where the same design element appears over and over again, like the seeds in the center of the a sunflower, or the chambered shell of a nautilus have subtle variations and degrees of imperfection from one element to the next. I think it takes artistry to mimic these designs of nature with the creative talent God granted us and it does not take artistry to have a computer do it all for you while you stand and watch it.

By the same token I place more value on a piece of handcrafted furniture where the craftsman turned the leg of a chair on a lathe and did not simply put the wooden dowl on the lathe and have a computer cut it out. There is a difference and it is the same with CG quilting.

To digitize a CG design takes skill and creativity but to say it is artistic, well I guess that is where we differ in opinion.

I try not to confuse the terms "skill" with "talent" or "artistic creativity" with "ability". There are differences in the meaning. Each have merits in their own right but I simply place more value on artistry and talent over skill and ability. All are learned behaviors but talent and artistic creativity are things that not everyone possesses to the same degree, otherwise we would all be Davincis or Michaleangelos.

I also feel to make the comparison of my opinion to the "hand quilters were mortified when MQ first happened" doesn't fly with me. I hand quilt and machine quilt. I have no problem using machines to acheive an end, I just place more value on art that was created by a person using their own talents manipulating a machine rather then a machine doing the whole thing with a trained operator manning the controls. And quite honestly so do most people. That is why someone who can afford it will by an original oil painting instead of a print, or a handcrafted custom piece of furniture over a cookie cutter factory model. There is nothing wrong with CG quilting and it serves a means to an end but I do not consider it artistry. Yes it takes skill to digitize a design, yes it takes skill to make sure the machine head is properly centered over the quilt so your quilting shows up where you want it to and is centered in a block but, barring some sort of handicap, basically anyone can do it once they are trained (ie skill). Not everyone can freehand beautiful designs on a quilt like Karen McTavish or Sharon Schambers or even Green Fairy who posts regularly here. Because not everyone can do it, I feel it has more value.

Sorry to hi-jack the topic.