Thread: Binding
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
quilttiludrop

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
Originally Posted by sahm4605
I like my binding wide. so I cut usually a 5" strip and fold in half sew 1/4" to quilt and then fold over to the back. it ends op being around a 1" finished binding around the whole quilt. But it also depends on the size of the quilt that I am making. the smaller the quilt usually means thinner binding. I know that I am probably really really weird and totally in the minority here but it is what i like and you should play around with your widths till you find one you like best.
When you have a binding that wide, how do you trim your quilt? Do you trim all three layers the same, or do you leave the batting and/or backing larger than the top?
I usually trim my quilts at 1/2 inch past the unfinished edge of the top. If I'm using straight grain binding, I cut 4" wide strips and fold them in half. I stitch the 2 layers to the quilt [I think stitching to the back and bringing it around to the front will look best]. Mitering the corners is also important, of course.

If I am using bias binding, I cut 2 inch strips usually and run them through my Simplicity Binding Maker. I have used it for straight grains strips and it will fold those just as well also.