View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Ellen 1

Originally Posted by hcarpanini
Ask your relative what type of batting she used. Some battings when washed will give the "puckered" antique look. You may be able to wash and dry your quilt and achieve that look. Good luck!
Was the fabric pre-washed? This is a good idea and perhaps will save a ton of ripping if you did NOT wash the fabric before you pieced it. However, if you do decide to un-sew the quilting, here is what I do. Takes less time and less cramping and numbing in the hands.

One thing you have to decide before using this method: you have to be willing to (as I call it), "sacrafice the backing" and replace it. It may have some places that can be reused for piecing, but will be useless for reusing it as the backing. You can reuse the batting.

I take a rotary cutter and FROM THE BACK, between the backing and the batting, I very carefully cut the backing off. (Always keep the batting next to the quilt top, to help protect the top, and only cut between the backing and the batting. By pulling (tension) on the backing, you expose the qulting threads and are able to very carefully "cut" them, a few at a time. Then move your hands closer to the quilted area and repeat adding tension and cutting until finished. **You still have to be very careful (1) not to cut yourself and (2) not to cut through the batting to the quilt top. Did I say VERY CAREFUL?

I have done this a couple of times and have been happy with re-quilting the top.

Ellen