View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
mrswhite07

I'm new here, and kind of having a melt down (plus I'm pregnant and that is adding to my hysteria). I'm making my first quilt, I'm 'lap quilting' a sampler (I'm using this 20 year old book called "Lap Quilting With Georgia Bonesteel"). I have all of the blocks sewn together and I'm adding the borders right now. I'm just using muslin for the borders & backing to keep it simple. I have a few of the blocks completely done already, so I brought one of them with me to match the muslin. I bought 7 yards & I've cut out all the borders... and its not the same kind at all!!! Its much heavier/thicker (this must be because it was the cheapest kind, for some reason I thought I just needed to match the color & that all muslin was the same otherwise). I haven't sewn any borders on yet with the bad muslin... but, how much effect is this going to have if the majority of the quilt is super heavy duty muslin & a few blocks are really light weight muslin? And how hard will it be to quilt it (since I'm doing it by hand)? Should I just get the right kind and suffer the money/time loss? I really want a nice lightweight quilt for our bed for spring/summer (for some reason our military housing thinks you don't need A/C in Colorado!) UGH I'M SO MAD!!! Especially since I spent like 3 hours cutting out 96 3" borders!! HELP!