View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Ruth Cozadd

Hi again I am going to try to explain my quilting table to you. It will require a little help from some one with some basic carpender skills to help you out.
The first thing is to find a large solid surface for your top, no table with leaves. (as I said mine is 36 by 54) I found mine at a discount furniture store in their back room of dammaged goods (the legs had been broken in shipping) the top was also a little scratch but solid oak. They charged me $25.00 for it.
One of my friends went to a counter top place and asked for their dammaged goods and found a top that was perfect for her smaller room (30 by 48) Another friend went to a going out of business sale and found a farm house table ( solid wood top no leaves) with no chairs for only $75.00.
You may need to take a day for a scavenger hunt but I'm sure you can find something.
My top needed legs and I found that microwave carts were just the right height for me. I found two (also on sale) and attached them to the bottom.
One of my friend used banquet table legs (from Low's) so she could fold it up and store it if she ever needed to. Another friend used short file cabinets.You may get creative and think of some other ideas that will work for you.
The last but most imporant step is getting the machine down into the table top. You will need to build a box ( I used plywood) out of something very sturdy to support your machine. The depth is critical, it needs to be the depth of your machine bed minus the thickness of your top. It should also be about 2 inches larger than your machine all the way around.
I wanted the right side of the machine about 8 inches from the right side of the table and 7 inches in from the front. This is your own decision. If you aren't sure go to a place that sells sewing cabnets a sit at several and take note of the placement of the opening.
When you are sure put masking tape on the top where you want your machine, then place the machine on top of the tape and trace around it with a marker.( This works best if your machine is a flat bed not a free arm.) If you have a free arm you will need an insert to fill in around the free arm, this can be ordered from your sewing machine dealer. If you do need to do this the traced line will be aroung the insert not the machine.
Now the final step it to have the hole cut out on the traced line. This needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. I took mine to a local carpender who does counter top cut outs for sinks. You will need to take note of where you cords come out of the machine. I had the hole cut about 2 inchs wider on the right side so I could feed the cord down under the lable and not have them up on top in the way.
Now attach the box you built under the hole and you are ready to set the machine in and quilt.
The other thing I did was to put about 3 coats of poly varnish on my top and waxed so it is really slick, it makes moving the quilt around so much easier. My total cost was under $100.00. Some of the cabinets I looked at were in the thousands. Good luck