View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 AM
mpspeedy

So much depends on who organized it. I belong to two guilds. Each has retreats. The one I attend has projects you can do but it is not "required". The second group has your every breath planned. I go to the first group's retreat it is limited to 25. We usually have about 20. Each of us has her own table. They set up at least two ironing stations and cutting stations that we all share. They usually offer two projects. You are not obligate to do either. Everybody brings their own projects to work on durring the day and we share meals together. In the evening we might play a few games like quilt bingo or have a penny auction of quilt or sewing related items we have brought to exchange. Then it is back to the sewing machines until we can't stay awake any longer. There is usually a field trip to a local quilt store as most of us are at least an hour away from our home territory. Those that don't go along give us a list of things to pick up for them.
The retreat I don't attend is micro managed by the planners. It is also over crowded. The max for it is 45 or 50. They have projects that are required. The price tag is significantly higher. It reminds me of summercamp with an aggresive leader. I am a Domestic Goddess so I have time to quilt at home. Most of the other girls work fulltime so they have lots of things to do. ONe of the woman spent her whole retreat making garmets for her first grandchild. I usually have to make up "kits" of projects for myself, usually Linus quilts or Christmas presents etc. Dragging my machine etc. is not as rewarding for me as I have a great set up at home and time to use it. I go for the company of the other woman. It is fun and gives me time to get to know the others.