View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:42 AM
MTS
Banned

How timely!
Guess what I'm stuffing my face with at this second while checking email this morning?

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat together (by hand) in a large bowl:
3 eggs beaten
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla (or half the bottle :mrgreen: )

Add to the above with spoon:
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1 cup (8.5 oz) well drained crushed pineapple

In separate bowl and combine:
2 cups flour (optional sifting)
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. nutmeg (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup golden raisins

Stir dry ingredients into squash mixture until just mixed - do not over mix.

Spoon in to 3 small or 2 regular (9x5x3) well greased and floured loaf pans. Put enough in to fill 2/3 up.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Stick a knife in the center to make sure it's cooked through. Cool for ten minutes before removing pan.

Now, my variation:
I bake them in muffin tins - only takes 15-20 minutes to bake, and they're much easier to freeze and defrost. You then don't have to have a whole loaf sitting you on the counter taunting you. From one batch, I got about 30 in regular size tins, and another 24 in those mini-bite-size tins. ;-)

Again, put enough in to fill it 2/3 up, regardless of tin size. You're not really trying to make a muffin, just a smaller loaf.

Also, I've been reducing the sugar...I'm now down to 1.5 cups. Next time I make them (probably next Monday) I'm going to try it with only 1 cup. I did try Splenda - wasn't great, although that didn't stop ALL of the muffins from disappearing within 2 days.

The original recipe called for 3 cups of flour. I read it wrong when I started making these again a few months ago. Didn't even realize it until I was typing this up for you. Didn't notice any difference in taste or consistency.

Enjoy!