Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 AM
PKWard

Oh this should help me too. I never thought to cut the template apart and use as pattern pieces to get the direction of the fabric going the right way. I just did hit and miss till I got it right...sometimes I used my light box. This should be so much easier!!!

Thanks!
Paula

Originally Posted by helen31406
[ Very frustrated. I have tried it so many times, I must have spent $$$$$ because I have used way too much fabric. Can anyone help me figure this out? Maybe by doing a tutorial or something? I can not get any of it right. Not having fun either. Wasting a lot of time too.
To save fabric when paper piecing try this.

Make several copies of the paper pieced project.

Carefully cut along the lines to make templates

Use the template to cut out shapes about 1/2 inch larger in all dimensions than the template.

Also use the template to place pieces on the grain of fabric.

After the piece is cut and placed in the section to sew. Trim only the side you will sew to 1/4".

Choose the next template and cut as above.

Match edge to be sewn right sides together to the piece already pinned to paper. Sew.

This method cuts down on waste and helps avoid stretching because pieces are cut on the straight grain. This is especially important in large pieces that will be quilted to prevent distortion.[/quote]