View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 04:22 PM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by mona202
The first quilt I did was a table top one so it was easy to machine quilt. However, I am now moving onto my first quilt that is 64" x 64". I am going to machine quilt it, so do I start in the middle? How do I roll up the side that is not the open side? Also, do you have to use a free motion quilt presser foot? The needle doesnt go in the foot anyway so cant you just quilt without the foot? (Can you tell I am new to quilting? lol)
First question ... yes you start in the middle and work your way out.

Second ... you can roll it or "puddle" it if your comfortable. Take the needle out and put the quilt in your machine as if you were going to begin quilting, move it around and see how comfortable you are with it. Best to have plenty of room on the left side and in back of the machine for the quilt to lay flat and reduce "drag".

Third ... you use a free motion foot if you are going to quilt in a pattern other than straight lines. If you want straight lines then use a walking foot and leave the feed dogs up. If you want any pattern that has a curve to it then lower the feed dogs and use a free motion foot. The free motion foot DOES touch the fabric, just not all the time. It has an "arm" that sits on top of the needle shank screw which causes the foot to move up and down with the motion of the needle. When the needle is down, so is the foot. It needs to be there to hold the quilt in place while the needle is actually sewing - if not and you moved the quilt while the needle was inside your quilt ... you could either rip your quilt or break/bend the needle. This last part I dont' know from experience because I'm not willing to try <g>. Another reason is it would be way too easy to move your finger/hand right into the sewing area and aside from the pain, the blood won't do your quilt any good.