Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Ramona Byrd

Years ago my late DH and I went to the local Senior Center when they had experts come in and explain about health coverage. At that time we were both very healthy. We finally went with Blue Shield of CA, and later as DH became sick, Blue Shield paid for his operations and hospitalizing with absolutely no quibbling. I still have it although I've not used it for many years, but since I'm 77 I feel that it is worth it paying that much every month. One single hospital visit could cost more than years of paying for insurance.

Be very careful which one you get. I'll agree that you should go to the local Senior Center to get lots of ideas on what to do, right now before you need it. Check with doctors' office managers to see if they take whatever one you want to check on, and find out what they do and do not pay for. This might surprise you, considering that lots of doctors take this and that, but this and that might not all pay for the same things.

My sister was going to change from the one I have, and asked at the hospital where she volunteers if they take the one she was thinking of changing to. They told her yes, they took it, BUT it didn't pay for much at all and not as much as Blue Shield does. That little point hadn't been made clear in the other companies' fancy meeting she had gone to.