Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM
JanetM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by JanetM
My parrotlet Petie landed wrong and hurt the ligaments around his knee. He immediately started limping so a trip to the Avian Vet was in order.

The vet had to administer anethesia to sedate him in order to exray his leg. Nothing was broken but he could see some swelling of the soft tissue surrounding the knee.

Birds are very sensitive to anethesia, so the vet could only give him a little bit. Once Petie was "awake" he had to administer more anethesia so he could splint his leg.

He has to wear this splint for 6 weeks. We are now down to the last 2 weeks. Funny thing, the vet told us that Petie would find it difficult to fly with this splint, but guess what? No one told Petie, so he flies just like he always has. He has really adapted to this thing, but it is so funny to watch him run sideways. Sometimes he gets going in circles and has trouble stopping... :lol:
The things we do for our pets. My rottie/mix Gus had ACL surgery last November and was confined for 5 months. I am finally in my own bed upstairs after sleeping on an air mattress in a downstairs room all that time. He had to be walked on leash and activities strictly restricted. Vet says it was the same as a "football" injury in an athlete. Glad your feathered friend is doing well.
I know..we will go to any and all lengths for them. Petie, obviously can't sleep in his regular cage because he can only grip with his good foot. We had to buy a covered plastic box at a chef supply house (recommended by the vet- he uses these boxes as incubator boxes), drill air holes into it, and fit it with custom soft pads I made. He may have to sleep in this box for a couple of days after the splint is removed. We'll just have to wait and see.