Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Millstream Mom

I bought a quilt kit to make a "ShadowBox Quilt". The colors are beautiful, and the blocks went together like a dream. The blocks were then sewn into 7 long strips.

The sashing was cut from the kit (as directed) into 2" strips from selvage to selvage. I trimmed the tightly-woven edges from the selvages, and sewed the strips together.

The next step was to sew the 2" strips of sashing between the long pieced strips. I just grabbed the 1st strip - sewed the strip - trimmed the bottom to the same length - then sewed the next long strip on.... and its about 1 1/2" shorter than the sashing strip? AAARRRGH! :x So I ripped out the seam - could someone please advise me on the proper procedure?

Do I measure all my strips (which appear to be the same length) and take the average length? Do I cut my sashing to that that length before sewing? Do I pin top and bottom and ease in the unequal length by stretching/easing as I sew the centers?

(and yes.... I admit it..... I am a lazy sewer and rarely pin anything! :roll: I'm thinking that might have been part of what lead to this little fiasco! )