View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
BeeNana

Under topics at the bottom of this page there is a large section with all kinds of information on applique. Recently I saw a site that does applique as I do and for the life of me I can't think of it.
I do A with freezer paper under the fabric [ironed to the back of the piece that is going on to the background]. I trace the design on the freezer paper [dull side] and then cut it out. Iron to the back of the fabric and cut around the fabric leaving 1/4 or less of the fabric. The freezer paper underneath gives me an edge to turn under. I will A almost all the way around and am able to pull the freezer paper out with tweezers from a 1/4 opening or less. Then I finish off the A. I pick a spot to end the piece in an easy curve/straight area as it makes it easier to finish.
I use the long straw needles {milliners], silk thread and toothpicks. When doing this method I have to remember to reverse the pattern if it’s not symmetrical. So what I do is turn the pattern over and trace from the backside on to the freezer paper. Many times I will baste paper and all to the area of placement. Pins drive me crazy.
I hope that I didn’t make matters worse. Yes it does take practice. You can also google freezer paper applique and see what other options there are.
I find it relaxing and able to get up and go with it.
Good luck and do lots of google searches. You will find that you will get several techniques..............just practice and have fun. Believe it or not we were not born with a needle in our hands!