View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
margecam52

Have you tried using freezer paper and a glue stick? You print one design (or as many pieces as will fit on a sheet of paper), Cut freezer paper to the size of the design page (or each cut out piece) & then you pin about 8 sheets of freezer paper (make sure they are all facing the correct way) with the design on the top of the shiny side of the freezer paper stack (reverses the design). Cut out the design(s) and iron them to the wrong side of the fabric. Cut out the fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowances, or close to that...now take a glue stick, and run it around the edge of the seam allowance on the wrong side. Fold the seam allowance against/onto the paper, make sure to have the fabric fold right on the edge of the paper...seam allowance on the paper. On tips & corners...fold in the corners first then the sides...trimming the seam allowance if needed so it won't poke out. Before the glue dries...adjust any points, curves as needed.
With this type of applique, you leave the paper in place until you have finished stitching the applique down. Be careful not to stitch the paper, just catch the very edge of the fold and then into the backing. Check placement & stitching...don't like it...take out the stitching and redo. Once you have the pieces all down, you turn the block over and cut out the layer of backing to within 1/4" of the stitching. dampen the paper (I use my finger) and pull it out. If you did catch a tiny bit of the paper, dampen it..count to 10, then pull it out. If more than one layer to the applique...cut one back layer at a time & pull that paper....next cut the part of the next layer to within 1/4" of the next stitch line and pull the paper...repeat until only one layer of fabric is left where designs overlap. Any small bits of paper will disolve in the washing of the quilt.

Do one block and try this, I think you will find it's really a big help.
Here is a link to Beth Ferrier's blog and if you scroll down, you will see how she has her pieces glued. She used an expensive wash away stabilizer...but freezer paper works just as well.

http://applewd.com/blog/?m=200905

Check all her 2009 blogs...I did the Now and Forever quilt...it was a great learning experience.