View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
ThreadHead

quote=MinnieKat]You have to go on the River Walk ... and the Alamo.[/quote]

In 1948 I would go to the river and walk around, it was close to my home. I remember there was a long sidewalk down by the river, and real high banks, maybe 20 or 30 feet, with weeds, bushes, and small trees growing out of them.
The riverside walkway was twice as wide as a regular sidewalk. There was an old, open, outside brick theater, with a brick stage and brick seating. There was usually no one around except one or two people, usually couples strolling around. No boat rides at that time.
So I would sing, and sing ( lots of echo). I would belt out the songs "Cry" and "Little White Cloud That Cried" by Johnny Ray. I pretended I was on stage singing to people. One time I did catch a man and woman standing up on the bank watching me. They were laughing at me. I didn't care, I loved it.
I went back to the river sometime around 1982 and what a difference, there were restaurants, live music, stores and shops. There were boat rides and crowds of people. All commercialized.
There was also theaters like the Majestic, and Aztec. The inside of the theaters had a grandiose decor, paintings on the ceilings and walls, something you would see in church in Rome. They are probably gone by now.
The Alamo has also commercialized, but in 1948, there were still dirt floors and brick steps and walls that were crumbling. You almost felt like you were there, a part of history.
When we went back in 82, they had counters with cases of relics to look at, and stories to read, but nothing like the first time I saw it.
Take your camera.
Syl