Thread: shipping fabric
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pennyswings
You can fit up to 10 yards of material in a International Bulk Rate, envelope. That costs around $12.00 US dollars. The next up is a Bulk Rate box, that fits a small quilt or up to 20 yards of material for about $23.00 US dollars. Make sure you label as a gift because if you don't who ever picks up the package will have to pay customs for the value of the product. Here anything over $25.00 US dollars I have to pay 50% of the value of the item.
I looked up Argentina to make sure. The flat rate envelope and small flat rate box are the same postage cost ($12.95). The weight limit for both is 4 lbs. When I weighed my fabric, 4 yards weighed about 1 lb so theoretically you could send 16 yards of fabric in the small box. However, based on butterfly's test of how many yards could fit into the regular box, I calculated the most you could stuff into a $12.95 box would be 4.5 yards. If the flat rate envelope can hold up to 10 yards of fabric, that would be a better deal.

The regular box is the next size up, and that's the one that costs $41.95 postage and butterfly stuffed 33.5 yards of fabric into.

A bulk rate box may be a different category than the flat rate box we are talking about. What we are looking at is "Priority Mail International" flat box rates. Here is the USPS website excerpt for Argentina:

Priority Mail International — Flat Rate

Flat-Rate Envelope or Small Flat-Rate Box: $12.95
May contain items that may be sent as First-Class Mail International. The maximum weight is 4 lbs.

Flat-Rate Boxes: Regular – $41.95; Large – $53.95
Merchandise is permitted, but written communications having the nature of current and personal correspondence are not permitted. The maximum weight is 20 lbs. or the limit set by the individual country, whichever is less.