Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
desertrose

Originally Posted by GrannyW5
It is difficult to know what to choose. We are going through that with my DH now and we were going to choose Secure Horizons or Today's Option. Then our neighbor was just diagnosed with esophageal cancer and he tried to get into several cancer centers and they would not accept his insurance(Secure Horizons). Now we are not sure what to do. Is it better to stay with medicare and pick up a supplement instead of going with one of the advantage plans??

If you're able to manage the 80-20% split of straight Medicare you have the choices of any Dr. or Hospital that accepts Medicare and you don't have to have the approval of a supplimentary Medicare Insurance Co. telling you you're not covered to go to a cancer hospital or any medical facility.

I have a Medicare managed care program, due to my financial situation, if I had the choice of affording straight Medicare I would in a heart beat. I have many health issues and I go through being denied tests, CT, MRI's because managed care says it's not life threatening, YET. I just won one MRI request and found I'm facing loosing the use of my legs because of a back condition but they still will only cover pain treatment not any attempts for correction. Enough said....