View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
TonnieLoree

Being a child of parents who grew up during the depression, nothing ever went to waste. In the early 70's they bought a run-down motel in north Idaho. The first things that were replaced were the quilts on the beds, as what was there were nothing more than rags, even in my parents opinion. Many of the sheets had patches on them (yes patches!) From these old sheets my Mom and I started making new quilts for the beds. The tops were nothing fancy, just a 4 or 6" one patch. The old sheets were used for the backings.

Over the years, there were more than a few customers who asked if they could purchase the quilt that was on their bed. Sadly, a few were stolen. I suppose if you look at it, that was a compliment.

When I first started quilting, I did not know that there were other options for backings. I made my first quilt all by myself when I was 12. I still have it. Now, the top is ratty and some of the blocks are ripped or have been replaced. I cherish my first attempt and consider it a success. I can point out blocks to my grand children and say, that was a piece of grammas dress when she (I) was your age. The backing is in better shape than some of the newer quilts I have since went on to make.

So, not even being aware of the fabric content for sure, nor the type of thread that was used (really, there were no thread police back in the mid-70's) I can honestly say that newer quilts come and go, but my first quilt is here for the duration.