Thread: Dryer Sheets
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
e4

I am sorry, but I think this is not the case most of the time. There may be people with very sensitive skin who are affected by this, but that is not true for most people. No, you won't find this on snopes - its not an urban legend - its a misstatement of science. Most of the websites that discuss how "toxic" the chemicals in dryer sheets are talk about things like alpha-terpineol (naturally occurring in every lime product you eat), benzyl acetate (naturally occurring in many flowers), camphor (this actually is used in anti-itch creams, is in rosemary you cook with, and has been used for centuries as a medicine), linalool (in coriander, bay leaves, and basil) and ethyl acetate (one of the most common chemical compounds in wine) among others. Yes, these are chemicals (so is food!), yes they can be toxic at very high levels (so can Vitamin A!), and yes, some people will be sensitive to them, but that is not nearly as common as some websites would have you believe. As an educator and a scientist I just have to comment on comments like this that are well meaning, but mostly false.