Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Blackberry

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
My husband travels quite a bit for work and the kids and I often go with him. We spend a lot of time in the mornings in the hotel while he works and I've often wished I could continue working on my projects while away from the house. I currently have a Bernina 820 and portable is just not a word used to describe that machine! I'm just wanting to do some piecing while away, not any quilting. I know the featherweights are excellent for being toted around but I was wondering if there were currently any models on the market that were also great for on the go work.

I've looked at the new Bernina 3 series but their still a little bigger than I want to tote around, and their price is more than I'd like to spend for an occasional travel machine. All I plan on doing is a basic 1/4" piecing stitch so the more basic the machine, the better.

Anyone have recommendations or advice?
I just purchased a Janome Mini from a lady on Craig's List for $35. It does straight stitch and zigzag and it only weights about 5-7#. I have even sewed on it and I like it for just simple sewing. It is the cutest darn thing.