Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM
TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I have Olfa's--all sizes that close automatically when you release the handle except for the tiny one--it is manual; a few dollar bin cheapos that I use for fleece & paper and a Martelli 45mm. I love, love, love the Martelli for long cutting sessions but you have to remember to close the blade shield every time you set it down. Also, it only likes the blades without notches or it will wobble. There is a right & left hand version so make sure you get the correct one for you.

So, no, they are not made equal. You have to find one that is comfortable for you at a price you're willing to pay. For a good all around--easy & cheap to find blades for--I would recommend Olfa. For problems with carpal tunnel or hand strength--I recommend Martelli. For pretty--I recommend Donna Dewberry!
Seriously, a right and left handed version? I bet the left handed one is more expensive. What is the difference? That just seems like another price gouge for those that do not know how to adapt. I'm left handed, btw, and I do just fine with all of my rotary cutters.