Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Barb44
I just got back from an auction where I bought a Victor treadle sewing machine for $20. The label on the machine reads "Victor Sewing Machine Co. Middletown, Conn." There is no number on it except a 4 on the post above the bobbin wider. It has a straight bobbin.

I searched the net for info. ISMACS is the only place that had a shred of info. The company only existed from 1876 to 1890. So this machine is really old. And it is in bad shape. A lot of rust on the metal legs, drawers are off and parts of the veneer on the cabinet is loose. The wheel only moves slightly. I think it is the shaft/bar underneath from the wheel to the bobbin that is frozen. And the cover box is in pieces. It's a challenge.

There is probably info on this thread about restoring machines that would help me, but going through 933 pages is daunting. I am anxious to get it working. DH now has a project. LOL

Does anyone know anything else about this machine?

My mother had a Singer treadle model 127. One of the dumbest things I've done is sell that machine. It sewed so well.
Barb do a search for turorials here. There are cleaning/restoring tutes and one for restoring the cabinet too. The tutorials are from Billy, our fearless leader here (lostn51), and Glenn our cabinet restorer! If you can't find them, one of us can find the link and post it!

Nancy