Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Barb44
BoJangles, I did find the tutorials last night after posting. But this machine is so different that the dis-assembly tut doesn't help much. For example, the tension control is on top of the arm. It is a very simple machine. Luckily DH is very mechanical. Even though he thinks I am nuts, I can tell he's anxious to get it apart and clean it. As far as I know the only thing missing is the belt. There are two shuttles, but may be too rusty to use. One has a bobbin in it with blue thread.

It has a coffin top that is in pieces - just needs glueing. But it is missing a carved piece on the front corner. May have to move one from the back and put a plain piece in the back.

I did find a patent date on it of Nov. 1, 1881. I will keep doing research. The Smithsonian has a manual, but don't know if a print version is available.
Well, if the Smithsonian has a manual, you should be able to print it. If the patent date is 1881, then you can bet your machine is an 1880's machine. Pretty cool! I'd let your DH at it, you really can't hurt those old machines, just make sure what you take off goes back on! That top tension is very simple to use and take apart -- and, that top tension looks really cool too! Even though your machine may not look like the Redeye Billy used in his tute, the cleaning all the gunk off and out of the machine is the same. Good Luck! Post pictures for us to see the progress!

Nancy