Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 AM
shirleyd

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Originally Posted by shirleyd
I just finished piecing my second quilt, queen size, in almost entirely SHT's and I had such a hard time getting all the points to match! There was a lot of ripping out and wondering "what was I thinking!" Are HST's hard for everyone or is it just me and my lack of experience? I do feel I learned a lot as I went along but it was frustrating and discouraging at times. Hope the quilting goes better. :-)
There is another way to do this. for example:

for a finished HST of 8 1/2" (this includes seam allowance.) add 1 1/4" to size of a square block ( I prefer using 1 1/2") I would make a square block 10"

I draw a pencil line on the wrong side of the fabric one corner to the other

Place both fabrice right sides together

sew 1/4" away from each side of the pencil line.( I also mark a line 1/4" away from the center line, I find it easier to sew on a guide line) Fons and Porter have a 1/4" ruler that will make eaiser to mark these lines it makes it easier to mark the lines with out making a mistake

rotary cut on the CENTER!!! pencil line. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

then take a 8 1/2" square ruler (like the June tailor)

place the center of the ruler in the center of the unfinished block. Most rulers will have a line running down then from one corner to the other this helps center the ruler down the seam of the sewn HST.

rotary cut around the outside of the ruler on all four sides.

I Press the seams open.

There you have it!!

This will give you two finished HST'S

I am sorry if I did not explain it well.

Chris

Jump and correct any errors I may have made
Great instructions! All the help I've gotten from this fantastic board almost make me want to try more HST's, after swearing "never again". I was doing it the hard and wrong way for sure! :oops: