Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
karenm36

My husband and I are entertaining a friend of ours from Uganda Africa. We have been working with him since 2005 providing sponsorships for children who are orphaned because of losing their parents to AIDS &/or due to severe poverty. The sponsorships provide the necessary money needed to give these children an opportunity to go to school. Education is the only means they have of having a better future for themselves and subsequent generations. The beauty of our work is that we get to know the child we sponsor. We were speaking with our friend the other night and he was telling us how well our "adopted" daughter, Mary, is doing. She is hoping to be accepted to a university this summer and start in the fall. This is an incredible undertaking for this young woman.

It suddenly dawned on me that the fabric I bought a while back is intended for Mary! I was drawn to buy it because of the colors (it was on sale of course...lol!) but wasn't sure who the intended recipient was. It was clear at once...it's to be for Mary.

Now...I've been looking at patterns for days and cannot for the life of me decide what pattern to choose! I want to make a twin size quilt for her to take to school in the fall. I will have to make it as light weight as possible as it does not get cold there at all but I still think she would like it. And it's the only tangible way I know (besides sponsoring her and sending letters) to let her know how much we care for her and are so proud of her accomplishments.

Any ideas?? Please...if anyone has an idea or a picture of what might work that would certainly help. I'm attaching the fabrics...the yellow faded a bit in the wash :-( so I'm not sure if it's going to be okay to use or not. But all the others turned out okay. The white in the picture is actually a white on white...which I have LOTS of and will probably be using for the backing.

Thanks so much for your help! Karen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183726.jpe