View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 12:28 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i can certainly understand their taking credit for (some of) the amish ones, but they don't really deserve any credit for the civil war or pioneer quilts.
they're really stretching it there. and if they think that quilting itself is a european invention, they ought to stay away from the chinese!

are the ladies in your guild young, as young as you are? or is quilting basically a craft for more mature (do you notice how sensitive i am?) women? in this country it is a mixed bag and i've often wondered about european quilters.
Yes, I know all about the Dutch sensitivity about their exploits going unremarked - I live with a Dutch man! But as their biggest contribution to world language is the word 'apartheid', well maybe they have reason to be a little red-faced! :oops: But Hans often points out to me that everywhere the British colonised, the Dutch had already been there first! Not that THAT is anything to be proud of! And you're absolutely right about the Chinese - a much more ancient culture. I must do some reading and see where the absolute FIRST quilters came from - maybe even a cave woman who lashed two mammoth furs together with some flax in between?! :D

The ladies in my guild range in age from mid thirties to seventies (thanks for the 'young' comment - I'm 44 but get away with less because my kids are so young!) I must say the over fifties probably predominate but it those French sixty and seventy somethings who are the life and soul of the party, oh they make me laugh! They're like teenagers, only funny! :D

K x