View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
M.I.Late

Originally Posted by qbquilts
What helps me, is when I get to the 1/4" point (assuming a 1/4" seam) where I stop sewing, instead of just stopping, I sew a diagonal line to the corner. Then I lift up my foot and adjust the binding for the next side. Since I've been doing that, it has made all the difference in my corners.
That's exactly what I do. I don't stop, I veer off into the corner and off of the quilt entirely. When I do my fold, for the miter, I put it all the way up, bring it down (hold a pin where the fold will be and check it for completely square before I start to sew again. I start to sew again 1/4" from the top. You can feel where the needle should start there should be no bulk underneath - if there is, you're too high. Also, looking at your miters, you can see it's trying to round itself out. you're pulling that binding down too far. That's why I use the pin at the edge when I bring it back down. Hope that helps.

I don't machine stitch the second time around. I put my binding on the front and hand stitch the back down with a blind stitch. But the poster above did a nice job on the machine stitching for the binding. I'm just not that accurate and would probably miss some of the back...