View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 AM
SharonAnne

Yes, my package was awesome, particularly that beautiful sewing kit. My SP owned her own traveling quilt busiiness - my good fortune that she is divesting of her inventory.

Regarding finding bargains for swap packages - well, I have a few. Don't I just always have something to say, though? Guess you would not believe (or would you) that on my grade school report cards, I always had a teacher's note that begged my mom to tell me to keep quiet and stop whispering when she was teaching.

Sooo, I always carry coupons for everything/everyplace in my purse. It is like a treasure hunt when I find clearance bins - even my Hallmark store has a great one. And yesterday I got metal and also beaded purse handles for 80% off at Hancock Fabric clearance racks (try the remnant bin also). I paid $1.79 ea for $8.99 items.

I shop at church/school/senior living center rummage sales (an unopened bag of batting was thrown in free once because I bought some .$25 crafts). One of my favorite spots is in Auburn, CA at a church with a regular thrift store with it's very own room of sewing and craft items. Great lace and vintage fabrics in there for next to nothing.

I shop at library book sales and get catalogs and books - fiction and quilting books for $1 each.

I buy in quantity when I see a sale or have a 50% off everything, including sale items (JoAnn Fabrics). When the swap comes up, I go shopping in my bag at home and then add a few goodies based on the profile provided. It's quick and I can mail early and stay within the $10 limit very easily and I can send much more than if I had paid retail prices. I have enough in my stash now for about 5 swaps and with enough variety to cover more than one person's profile. This is so much fun. And if I don't do swaps anymore, well, there is nothing "I" would not use or donate to my quilt club.

Have fun - I sure do.