View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 PM
writerwomen

One of the most prominent is the Freeway incident. I was maybe 3 or 4 ( no seatbelts at the time) we were flying down the freeway on a hot summer day and I was showing my dolly everything out the window when I lost her. In order to retrieve her my father walked back down the freeway for a mile until he found her on the shoulder. The vision of him walking away and returning doll clutched in hand is very vivid. I still have her in the china cabinet with a small scuff on her face. My mother taught us the beauty of art in evreything. All of us learned to create at her leading. Both my parents (my father a pastor) believed a child should be brought up in the Lord and taught to inquire- we had many discussions at the dinner table that included debates, bibles,dictionaries and other resources to support our point were branded like swords. Guests weren't always sure what to make of it if they hadn't been exposed to those dynamics. We were respectful but we expanded our vocabulary and learned new ways to express ourselves. Course if the guests were off balance by the interaction they usually were toppled by the goffy stuts we pulled most were just unplanned kid stuff.