View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by earthwalker
This has not happened to me, but I am a pre-washer of everything. If the colour is dark and coming off on surfaces I would think the dye is maybe not stable and could run. I know there are products to stop this problem (colour catchers etc. but I'm not in the USA so someone will help you there). So I suggest that before you wash it invest in some and you won't have a disaster on your hands.

Interestingly, I recently read my new OBW book, and it stipulated no pre-washing, so when I get round to doing it I guess I'll break my "rule", but only for that project. I just don't like nasty surprises.
EarthWalker ... I prewash everything, so did my OBW fabric without even thinking. I go tmro and when they were giving me my list of things to bring said unwashed. OUCH! I said, oh already done .... she said no problem, press it up real good, and do a good job with spray starch or sizing.

They like it to be unwashed so that when you are shaking the multiple layers out and into place they will not stick to each other and will fall nicely in place. She didn't seem to be bothered with me having it washed, so we'll see tmro!