View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Little RoO

With all the new machines that are coming out and people upgrading there are lots of really good second hand machines around. I have a Husqvarna Designer 1 ....a really solid machine that does lovely sewing and superb embroidery...there were two types, ones that took floppy discs and ones that were an upgraded model that took USB, I have the USB model....when these were new about 10 years ago they were about $4000 I believe but now can be picked for a few hundred dollars so maybe worth looking at.....unless you want something that reads the designs ultra quick they are still great machines.
If you buy a second hand embroidery be sure to check how you transfer the designs...is the card reader easily available etc. A real bargain could turn out to be really costly if you have to purchase extras or it is so old you can't readily get extras.

If you decide not to go down the embroidery route...I think Pfaffs are great with the IDT which is there integral walking foot....makes piecing so much easier and more accurate....these machines can also be picked up second hand within your budget.....
I wrote the following as a reply to someone elses question re choosing a machine ...but think it might also help you

I think if you are buying a machine they are some real do's and don'ts...
1. Decide what you are going to do with it, what features are a real must have and what are a nice to have and write them down so when you go to buy you have your list with you.
2. If you have a budget, stick to it...it is so easy to get sucked in at a dealer and spend so much more on a machine that will be fab but probably do far more than you will ever need and you may well regret spending so much more once you get home !
3. Ring round dealers and see what they have new and old ( I then look the machines up on the internet to see if the features match my list ) Ask what gaurantee they have....AND bargain with them ....most really want your business and will quite often come down abit in price to get it.
Sewing machines are a really personal thing and you can get lots of information on the internet but I think you really do have to go and give them a real test drive....I would take some bits of fabric and ask to play.
Any good dealer should be more than happy to let you do this....don't be rushed into making your choice.
Good luck...Please let us know what you get.