Old 04-15-2011, 05:30 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have a question about my 1975 Bernina 830 (tons cheaper than the current Bernina 830!). Yesterday I was merrily quilting along and my machine stopped running. As usual I reached down to push the plug back into the foot pedal. When I picked it up I notice it was very hot. I mean really hot. Put the pedal on the floor again and went to sew... no dice! She ain't moving.

The light on the machine remained on so I am pretty sure the problem lies with the foot pedal. But, what would cause it to heat up like that and why won't it move?

Anyone, know what is going on here? To my recollection this has not happened before in the 36 years I have had her. Hopefully, someone knows what's going on. Thanks for any help you can give me. Nice chatting with y'all again. :-D :-D
I have the same machine, and it's about my third one... When they get old and have that much use on the foot controller, those controllers go out. I have had to change mine before. I don't know why your pedal is getting so hot, but most likely it was the electrical problem in the controller that caused it. There is nothing wrong with your machine, that 's the good news-- it's all in the controller. Now for the bad news: a replacement controller is about $150. Outrageous. If you know someone who repairs machines you might could get them to order you one wholesale, but retail they are about $150.

I bought them from sellers on Ebay before. I just looked and found this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bernina-Foot-Con...item35b15beb20
However, this one is not a new replacement, it's another old one. You would be investing a lot of money, and would be likely to have the problem again not too far down the road. There are NEW replacements you can get, but they are no longer made by Bernina. It will look just like the one you have now, and work fine, but it won't say "Bernina" at the top of the pedal like your old one.

There don't seem to be any on Ebay currently (besides the old one, above) so I would Google "sewing machine parts" and find an online dealer, unless you know someone locally who can get it for you.