Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by MarieM
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Kitzone
I inherited a Singer 15-91 the other day and I am a little baffled. Attached to the pressure relieving thumb screw is a "Revco" release button. Has anyone else seen one of these and do they know the purpose?
Yep I have a bag full of them right now!! Revco was the aftermarket kings in the sewing industry. They had items like your "Quick Release" presserfoot tensioner to the "Reverse Switch" on the machines that did not have the back tack feature.

I happen to love them because after I use a machine I just hit it take the tension off of the presserfoot and Store the machine. It keeps the spring from loosing any preload or strength while its sitting around doing nothing. In fact I always take the pressure off of the presserfoot no matter what.

Billy
So when your not sewing on a machine you leave the presser foot up? I was taught in home ec that you leave the foot down especially when you are traveling w/a portable machine. It makes sense to leave it up though.
No I leave it down but there is no tension on the presserfoot at all. you can slide fabric around the thing like your FMQ. I was taught to always take the tension of of my Torque Wrenches before I store them because they would loose their calibration, and you are not suppose to leave your air rifles cocked because you will loose the tension on the springs. So I just do the same thing to my machines out of habit.

Billy