View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Auntie B

Feather Weights are beautiful. There is only black, and mint green (actually cream, and not a myth) They all have serial numbers, either on the front, usually on the bottom (of the machine, not the case) Singer has a web site that you can go and check the serial numbers, and they have listings of where and when they were made, and how many machines were released that year. There are also feather weight machines that are open armed, and some have a fold down extended bed. The local sewing machine sales shop/ quilt shop that I work in still services these machines and we see at least one a week. We all stand there and stare at this beautiful little machine, that still sews as straight and true as the day it was made. Some are still in their original case, complete with instruction manual and all the attachments. These of course are worth more. We always check the serial numbers, just so we can tell the owners how old their machine is, and where it was made. Most of them don't know, they just got it from old Aunto so and so who doesn't use if anymore etc. One thing you have to know tho is if it is a Singer Feather Weight, ONLY use Singer Needles. Singer needles are actually a little longer than the rest. All singer machines are built to accept only singer needles. This includes all singer machines, right from the first machine they made, right up to date machines. A lot of Singer machine owners come in, and are having trouble with their machines, until they find out they are using the wrong needles. Any ways, have fun with your search, and good luck. I don't own one yet, but if I came across one for less that $50 I might pop for it. I already have two old regular singer machines, the oldest was made in Elizabeth Port, New Jersey, it is the portable version, HAND CRANK, with the original curved wood carring case, it was made in 1912. Fairly rare, it was left in the basement of a house my parents bought in 1972, I've had my eye on it since then, and finally received it in 2008. The other one is a treadle with cabinet, it was my mother in-laws. I received it in 2001. Both have very sentimental value. Both are straight stitch only, with the funny bullet type bobbin, and both in working condition. I hear the hand crank models are very popular in the third world countries where there is no or little electricity. Hope you enjoy your hunt for you feather weight. Auntie B in Saskatchewan, yes, spring has sprung, and now we are all busy bailing water from the spring thaw, and guess what, tonight it is snowing like crazy !!!!!!! Go figure !!!